Friday, May 29, 2015

Best of 2014 | Film Festival Finds


To share the riches, this year I have created 3 separate best films list: my personal best films, best of movies watched at film festivals, and best mainstream films.

I preach loud and long the joys of film festivals. I do not want to imagine a world without them. I just would not see half the films that shift my wiring if it weren't for film festivals. Below are the best films I caught at festivals in 2014. These are all, without exception, superlative. In fact I could not bring myself to trim down to 20 films, so there are 21 here, because why not.




1.            MARGARITA WITH A STRAW (Toronto International Film Festival: TIFF)
2.            FORCE MAJEURE (TIFF)
3.            NATURAL SCIENCES (CIENCIAS NATURALES, Los Angeles Film Festival: LAFF)
4.            FORT BLISS (San Diego Film Festival: SDFF)
5.            HUMAN CAPITAL (Tribeca Film Festival, TFF)
6.            STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS (San Diego Latino Film Festival: SDLFF)
7.            MEETING DR SUN (San Diego Asian Film Festival: SDAFF)
8.            5 TO 7 (Tribeca Film Festival)
9.            SOMBRAS DE AZUL (SDLFF)
10.          APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR (SDAFF)
11.          WALKING UNDER WATER (LAFF)
12.          X/Y (Tribeca)
13.          SOMETHING MUST BREAK (Tribeca)
14.          THE LAST FIVE YEARS (TIFF)
15.          FANDRY (Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles; IFFLA)
16.          ALEX OF VENICE (Tribeca)
17.          TOKYO FIANCE (TIFF)
18.          THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS AND IMAGINATION (SDAFF)
19.          UNCERTAIN TERMS (LAFF)
20.          MEET THE PATELS (LAFF)
21.          BAD HAIR (Tribeca)




No comments:

Post a Comment